While reading chapter 5 & 6 and playing my game, I found out that there is a lot that is true. For example, “After all, you can save the game and start back at the saved point when you fail,” according to James Paul Gee. In my game I’m allowed to save at the point where I stopped and then at a later time keep playing. Sometimes as a player, I get tired or I want to take a break and its important that a game allows you to save and continue at a later time. As a player, you feel different ways of achievement. For example, I feel so proud to be able to be at the level that I am currently. I also discovered that my game has new ways of learning and thinking in order to win and continue. James Paul Gee states, “humans need to practice what they are learning good before they master it.” I strongly agree with this statement because I personally think that the more I practice, the better player I became. In order to master a game or anything that you would like to learn, you need to learn it, practice, research, and share opinions to succeed.
“Good video games gives players better and deeper rewards as they continue to learn new things as they play ( or replay) the game,” stated James Paul Gee. My game is a good example because it is a game that rewards the player. In my game the wrestler is rewarded with a championship belt. As a player you feel proud winning a championship belt. I prepare my wrestler for the fight and when I win, I feel so proud and when I loose, I get upset. The larger amount that I spend playing my game allows me to become familiarized and feel comfortable playing while reading chapter 6, I learned that my game challenged me as a player because there was a lot of procedures to learn and master.
I also think that the game Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, which is described in the book, is similar to my game, because you as a player need to act, think, and value ( while playing) . Wit h my game, you need to think what is the best strategy to win against the other wrestler and value what your doing in order to win. “In video games, hard is not bad and easy is not good,” according to James Paul Gee. This is another statement that I agree with only when it refers to video games. When you talk about school, you want easy to be good because hard is bad for you as a student. But while playing the game its reversed. While I’m playing my game which is hard, it doesn’t mean that its bad because I want to learn it no matter what. My games allow me to have free creation and It also allows me to build my own character. In conclusion, this week I had a great time playing my game. Although they are still hard and I’m still struggling when I play, I understand there is a lot involved in order to succeed. I also feel that all my interest and my effort are helping me a lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I do agree that the more you play your game (or practice) the more comfortable you will be playing, but I think the key (which as teachers we should focus on) is that it's fun and the "gamer" doesn't feel like he/she is learning or working hard at it.
The rewards are great, because they allow you to get farther. The reality is the farther you get, the more work you put into it and the more work you put into it, the more learning happens.
Wouldn't it be great to tap into that method of teaching in the classroom?
Thanks for your answers to my questions. I discussed getting that game for my fiance, with him. He's been really into this course, starting his own Sim on the Sims 2 deluxe, playing the Wii with the kids. He's been great about discussing literacy in gaming, explaining his learning when gaming. He'd rather get Bass Fishing for the Wii right now though. (perhaps since fishing season is around the corner...I don't know!)
Maybe I'll get him the wrestling for Xmas.
Does your husband play?
Post a Comment