Tuesday, March 4, 2008
4th Video Game Entry
After reading chapter 3, "Learning and Identity" by James Paul Gee, I realized that a lot of things are similar between the chapter and the Wii game that I am researching. The game Arcanum which is described in chapter 3, has similarities to my game. In my game, before you start playing, you need to construct your character. Each character has a different gender and race characteristic. For example, when you choose a wrestler, you are able to create his clothing, choose the place where he will fight and you are able to change his appearance by adding tattoos, piercings and different hairstyles. The player must choose how much power a wrestler will have. In chapter 3 it states that, "each of these traits will affect how your character that is." In other words, you, the player, create who you would like to see as a wrestler. In my game, you have to be strong enough to fight and think your way out of the fight. Chapter 3 explains how you get points in Arcanum game. In my game, after each fight, you get energy instead of points by getting a massage. This allows the player to get stronger. The only weapons used in my game are chairs that wrestlers use to hit eachother. Sometimes, depending on the place of the fight, the weapon might be different than a chair. In the Arcarum game, Chapter 3 states that "during game play, you talk and interract with a great many other chracter in the word of Arcanum." In my game, you are allowed to interact with other wrestlers using a cell phone. You can create a superstar, a diva and an arena, which is the place of fighting. Only certain moves are allowed by certain wrestlers. Not every wrestler has the same moves. For example, a wrestler named Batista is allowed to do a movement called "Batista Bomb". This is a move that allows him to lift the wrestler up and put his head between his legs and slam the other wrestler to the ground. When you choose a female wrestler, you can only win if you can do the move the right way. This is difficult for me because I am only starting to learn the game. I had learned that my game has literacy involved with a lot of gross motor. One negative thing about my game is that it is hard to learn the movements in order to win. Like the game Arcanum in Chapter 3, "that allows players certain degree of freedom (choices) in forming virtual characters." My game is similar to this game because you have freedom to choose how you want your fight. Eventually, I have to practice and get more familiar with my game in order to succeed as a player. I consider myself a positive player that likes to learn and practice what I have learned. In chapter 3 it states that, "being too quick to want to get to a goal without engaging in sufficient prior nonlinear exploration." In my opinion, this statement is true because sometimes players want to win without knowing the content of the game. I remember when I first started playing, I was too quick to play just to show that I could do it. In the end, I realized that when playing video games, you have to be patient and practice a lot. Using knowledge of the game helps you succeed. I think I'm having a difficult time with this game because I was always exposed to simple websites like Nickjr.com or noggin.com. The more I practice, I will benefit. A good technique that every player should use is to put in all your effort, think critically and be committed that you want to learn it. In conclusion, this week, I have learned that when a game is not boring, it gives a player enthusiasm to keep playing, learning and practicing to become a better player.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello,
It's so funny, I was reading your blog out loud to my fiance who is a life long WWE fan (formerly known as WWF...told you he was a big fan) and he was acting out the Batista Bomb as I was describing it. It appears that the game is extremely realistic. A child can go from the game to TV and see one of their moves used in real life. What an amazing feeling of accomplishment that must be! Your son must be so proud. He is mastering "signature moves" in his game that Batista took years to master.
I noticed you were describing the literacy of the game. When we (my fiance and I) tried to play the Wii with our kids, we were extremely frustrated because the kids were zooming through the instructions, while we were trying to read them.
Result: they knew what to do because they have played so many types of video games, whereas we got frustrated and mad because we had NO points of reference.
Conclusion: None of us knew how to jump over steeples in the Mario olympic games. We (the adults) wanted to go back and read the instructions. They (the children) said it was boring, and went on to another event. Since they had the master control, we lost!
Does your son read the instructions as they come, or does he "just know" what to do?
I have a quick question, do you have Ray Mysterio Jr as one of the characters on the game. His signature move is unreal. I am curious to know if that move is more difficult to master than Batista's.
Post a Comment