Tuesday, February 26, 2008
My 3rd game entry
This week, I spent almost two hours playing with my video game. I even got a headache! I was sweating after I was jumping and swinging my arms. I was able to win only one time. I realize now what James Paul Gee stated is true. He said, "Video games teach us that a good game teaches the player primarily how to play the game." I agree with his statement because I found this game difficult to play. There are lots of steps and rules to learn in order for you to have a successful game. I am also convinced that playing video games actively and critically is not a waste of time. I agree with this statement because throughtout this game there was a lot of learning going on even though it is a wrestling game. There is language involved because in order to play you have to read and understand in order to choose a player for example. Sometimes there is critical thinking because you have to analyze what you really want to do during your fight. There is exercise involved due to the amount of movement that has to be done while playing the game. Another thing I realized while playing the game is what Gee stated, "to learn either one at any deep level requires learning to play the game or at least to appropriate to sort what game it is." This means that the more you play, you become a better player. It is very important to know and understand patters and combination of elements and the game's internal design. At this point, I am only able to implement a little understanding because there is lot to learn in order to play at a more advanced level. What I have learned has been useful to me at this point. The two main thing I learned this week is that my video game has a lot of active learning and critical thinking. It is also a good game for obese children and adults because it requires a lot of movement and exercise. At the same time, it is good entertainment while you are burning calories! I think it would be a good idea to play at least 40 minutes a day or a couple times a week for exercise. I never realized that a video game of this type could be so helpful in many ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I get that its great for fitness and really makes you think. I have a Wii at home and we all certainly enjoy it. I guess my question is how do we make the connection between these VERY physical games and school? How do we use this new knowledge (which has certainly bridged the gap between our generation and our students') to our advantage as teachers?
Can we use the imagery of the games to get our students to "see" what we are seeing? Will this be enough of a hook to get them to listen more intently?
What do you think?
Laurence
Another thought, completely random, do you think adults will stop going to the gym because they have virtual games at home?
Post a Comment