Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How I Learn

Learning can be something interesting, boring, nice even scary; depending on the situation and what you are trying to learn. The environment has a lot to do with how I learn. I like to feel comfortable, be in a nice, safe place and have all the materials needed. I learn in a variety of ways. I learn from others. I like to get ideas that may be useful for later. It is always nice to listen to others and to ask questions. Having a positive attitude is very important when I'm trying to learn. Learning is not just sitting down and listening or dictating. It depends on the technique used and how each person learns. As a parent, I learn from my own children and I practice what I learn from my children to be come a better parent. I am a positive learner because I like to explore new things. As a teacher, I learn from my students and coworkers. I always say that everything I learn today will be useful for tomorrow. Everyone has their own learning style. Some ways that are useful and that work for me are information needs to be presented in written words. I am also a visual learner. As an adult I like to compare new information with my previous knowledge and experience. In this way, it helps me to become a better learner. As a parent and as a teacher, I learn that children learn through play. That is why it is important for children to play alone or with others. I have different ways of learning depending on what I'm trying to learn and achieve. For example, if I want to learn how to define a word, I first need to say the word out loud a few times and also write it down to learn it. Using this technique, I retain information clearly and have a better understanding of what I'm trying to learn. As a learner, I like to practice and summarize what I learn and maybe use it in a different way or apply something different to it. My conclusion is that there is no right or wrong answer in approaching an effective way of learning. I always learn new things in every aspect of my life. I learn from my own children while being a mother. I learn from my students while I'm teaching. I have learned and am still learning from my parents while I'm being a daughter. I learn and keep learning from my mistakes on a daily basis. Mainly, I am a visual learner, curious to learn more and at the same time I love to listen to others and give others a chance to teach me.

1 comment:

DrDana said...

Really nice analysis -- I agree with you that comfort and context can make all the difference. As well, when learning from one another, I think language and relationships are powerful mediators and you captured that in your post.